May 21, 2014 at 10:28 PM
The principal of Charlotte Catholic High School resigned Wednesday after an investigation uncovered "questionable disbursements" from accounts belonging to the school.
Jerry Healy's resignation was announced in a letter from the Diocese of Charlotte's school superintendent, Janice Ritter.
In a separate resignation letter, Healy did not address the investigation except to apologize for "any turmoil and upset that has cause distraction from the mission and values of our school and our students."
Healy had been the school's principal since 2003 and had worked for Charlotte Catholic Schools since 1971.
In March, Healy was placed on paid administrative leave as the diocese launched a review of the school's finances. The investigation was launched after the Charlotte Catholic High School Foundation, an independent booster group, raised concerns about one of the foundation's accounts.
Auditors discovered "instances of questionable disbursements from accounts belonging" to the high school, Ritter said Wednesday. The transactions were "separate and apart" from the foundation's accounts, the superintendent said.
The investigation "brought to light other areas of concern," Ritter said. She declined to elaborate as it was a "personnel issue."
Ritter said she wanted Healy to be remembered for his "positive impact on the lives of many students and their parents."
Charlotte Catholic parent Barry Fabyan said parents and students deserved to know more.
"When you've got a gentleman with a 30-plus year history and a career dedicated to young people, this did not seem like the way to handle the situation," Fabyan told WBTV.
Follow @ChrisMillerWBT and @WBTradio on Twitter